Meditation has been a godsend for me and while completely quieting my mind is still a farfetched dream, a few seconds is all it takes to slow down the hamster wheel in my head.
Like Personal Growth on Facebook
It wasn’t until I had my first natal astrology reading that I finally understood why switching off the mental chatter was such a challenge. With Gemini – the chattiest sign in the zodiac – rising early in my chart, my mind goes a mile a minute. To learn to meditate and actually stick with it, I had to go out of my way to make the sessions entertaining.
What is Meditation?
At its most basic (and essential) level, meditation involves focusing the mind on one concept or item, so that we can experience the peace that comes from a mental holiday.
There are different styles of meditation; the most familiar may be mindfulness, where we attempt to quiet our mind by focusing on our breathe and paying attention to any physical sensations, sounds and scents around us.
We can practice this technique for a few minutes everyday while sitting still, though it is just as effective if you are doing the dishes. The objective is to bring our attention back to the moment, and nothing more.
While the peace felt during a meditation is a reward in itself, we can also mix things up a bit to make the meditative process fun and even entertaining. Those of us who are very active may prefer walking meditations, where you put one foot in front of another and recite a mantra to yourself.
Perhaps Om Mani Peme Hum, if we want to enhance our sense of compassion and rise above the trials and tribulations of daily life. Repeat this mantra as you walk through a park, while intending for light to fill your mind and body.
Why An Intuitive Journey?
My favorite meditative tools are what you might call psychic journeys, where we bring our brain waves down to a semi-hypnotic level and let our intuition speak to us. To do these safely we start by grounding and protecting our energy.
This can be done by visualizing tree roots growing out of the bottoms of your feet, deep into the ground. Draw on the moist and nurturing qualities on the earth and let that warm earth energy travel up the roots, up your legs and your core to your Heart Chakra.
We then protect our energy by visualizing a violet light around our energy field. This purifies the space around you, while healing and releasing any subconscious fears about your sixth sense.
Next we call on our Guardian Angel to stand beside us, and thank him or her for raising our vibration so that we can easily access our intuition. Know that intuitive messages can come in the form of sights, sounds, smells and even thoughts of physical sensations.
Trust that you will receive an intuitive message, and off you go. You may prefer to record the following steps on your telephone and listen as your own voice guides you:
- Visualize a door in front of you. How big is it? What color and what material? How easily are you able to open the door? When you are ready, step through it and let your guardian angel follow you into your own personal Neverland.
- We now step into a hallway. To your right is a staircase leading down. As you approach the staircase pay attention to your surroundings. Take a step down the stairs, moving slowly while you focus on your breath. We are going to count down with each step: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1.
- We reach the bottom and find a swimming pool. You dive in and swim to the other side, your body sliding through the water safely and easily. A towel materializes in front of you and you pat yourself dry before moving on.
- At the end of the hall we see a tree trunk with a hollow center. You climb up the inside of the tree trunk easily, fully supported by the tree. It takes you up to a magical place full of flowers, exotic animals and even a few playful children.
- One of these little boys or girls approaches you and hands you a flower. Talk to them and ask their name. Today this child is going to be your guide, helping you reconnect with your inner joy and your spirit. Look at the flower and bring it close to your Heart, which opens up to receive the messages the child holds. Your physical eyes are closed, but your Heart’s eye is wide open, and listening.
- Your child guide points to an elephant and encourages you to climb on it’s back. This beautiful power animal will take you on a journey through the park. Keep your intuitive eyes and ears open, making a note of any sights along the way.
- When the tour is done, the child brings you back to the tree. You hug him or her goodbye and thank them for the message. Make your way back down the tree, through the swimming pool and up the stairs to your magical door. Step through the door, closing it gently behind you. You can return anytime you like.
- Bring your attention back to your grounding roots and the violet bubble of light. When you are ready, open your eyes and make a note of everything you sensed.
The sights, sounds, colors and textures all carry a message for you. Think about how you felt as you made your way through the door. Were you refreshed by the swimming pool? How did the child communicate with you? Take 5-10 minutes to write about the experience. This is when the messages usually start to click. If there was anything that you didn’t understand, make a note of it because the significance may be clearer in time.