Whether we work for someone else or are an entrepreneur we know what burnout feels like, or at least the state of being overwhelmed.
Like Personal Growth on Facebook
Just to survive a day we spend hours answering emails and phone calls, have meetings in person or on the phone, deal with family crises or share in the tasks that keep the family going, pay the bills, and try to plan ahead for the next phase of our projects. In our drive for success for our books, or our business we may forget that we need to take care of ourselves in the process. So let’s have an order of success and hold the burnout.
There are days when we feel productive, goals are met and we might even feel like we are in the “zone”. Who wouldn’t want more of those perfect days? We may even try to replicate those days with some degree of success. However, if we are really honest there are probably more days when we feel like we are chasing our proverbial tail and our stress levels continue to mount. On those days when we are so stressed we need to stop, and ask, what can we do differently? Our success will mean nothing if we have burned out in the process.
Finding a balance between work, play, self-care, and social interaction makes us feel better about ourselves and gives us the energy we need to tackle the goals we set. The first step is to believe that step by step we will get to the success we desire without the burnout!
These are some of the steps you can take to insure a better, less stressful, and possibly more of a perfect day.
- Sleep for at least 7. 5 hours and rise when your body is rested. Feeling your best you can tackle your day better. You will have to design your sleep pattern to fit your work pattern.
- Meditate or read life enhancing material.
- Eat a good breakfast to raise blood-sugar levels, increase your energy and improve your mood.
- Get outside and get moving within two hours of waking up. Sunlight will set you on a course of wakefulness. For some people mornings are the best time to exercise.
- Emails are better handled on a schedule, instead of continually as they come. Send your first batch of emails between 6 and 10 a.m. Send out another batch later in the afternoon.
- Tackle your work when your energy is up and you feel alert. Early birds do their best work in the morning. Night owls experience their cognitive high point in the late afternoon or early evening.
- Take breaks; they will actually aid in your productivity. When your brain shifts attention to a different goal, and then returns to the original task, the main goal is reactivated and revitalized.
- Eat lunch to keep your blood glucose stable, positively affect your brain’s ability to focus, and keep you feeling energized.
- Rest after lunch to digest. This could also be a good time to do some light exercise if you haven’t done a morning routine. Or take a few minutes to feed your body sunlight.
- Check in with family when your children’s energy is still high after school. This time of day gives you the best chance to feel personally rejuvenate and connected by feeling familial love.
- Have a healthy snack to keep mental alertness up and metabolism level.
- Creative planning time actually peaks when we’re not at our best. For many of us, that’s between 4 and 5:30 p.m., although night owls may experience the same effect between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m.
- Playtime can be social interaction or time that you spend with your hobbies. Make time for friends or partners.
- Eat dinner at least three hours before lying down to sleep. Eating later potentially opens the door to acid reflux and sleepless nights.
- Log on if you’re a Facebook user. Post a status update at 8 p.m. when your chance of garnering Likes peaks. All those thumbs-up icons positively influence our sense of belonging, meaningfulness, and self-esteem.
- Log off your computer or smartphone within two hours of bedtime.
- Take a hot bath, or read. Both prepare the brain for rest.
- Get to bed at a time that will give you the rest you need. A new and improved sleep schedule will pay-off in a more perfect day.
When you are feeling good about yourself you radiate good energy. People feel that energy and whether they are conscious of this or not they are more attracted to your business. In addition, by practicing at least some of these steps you will have a more balanced life. With a more balanced life there will be opportunities to share your success with loved ones, or simply feel proud of yourself. So let’s have more success and leave the burnout and overwhelm behind.