Like Personal Growth on Facebook
A funny and clever talk on the harmful effects of sleep deprivation from Arianna Huffington, the co-founder and editor-in-chief of ‘The Huffington Post’.
Being an extremely successful woman Arianna Huffington has a first-hand experience on how chronic sleep loss can affect the performance and hinder success. In fact, once she was so sleep deprived that she fainted, fell, and broke her cheek bone. You don’t want that happening to you, right?
Watch the video to understand how you can succeed in life without having to sacrifice sleep.
Here are 9 interesting facts about why sleep is important and tips on how to get more out of it:
1. A recent study showed that sleep cleans out harmful toxins from between our brain cells . “It’s like a dishwasher,” says the professor of neurosurgery at the University of Rochester, Dr. Maiken Nedergaard
2. Alzheimer’s is linked to sleep disorders. Regular sleep deprivation can be one of the facts that increase the risk of Alzheimer’s
3. A recent sleep research indicates that obtaining the recommended amount of sleep on a regular basis is linked with greater emotional intelligence and better mental health.
4. The ideal amount of sleep varies upon age group. Just try to take note of what time you wake up naturally prior to your alarm clock going off to get a rough gauge of how many hours sleep you personally might need. This will give you a better understanding.
5. Do not watch TV before going to bed. Read a book instead. It has been proved that bright screens make you less sleepy and disrupt your sleeping pattern.
6. Exercise in the morning or afternoon (but do not wear yourself out!), it will help you go to sleep faster in the evening.
7. Try using a gentler alarm or a wake-up light that will slowly raise the level of light in your bedroom. Wake-up lights are an especially good idea for the dark winter times.
9. The same applies to alcohol. Even though it might seem as if alcohol helps you relax and fall asleep faster in reality it also damages your sleep cycle. Plus, if you drink too many liquids, you will end up running to the bathroom instead of sleeping.
To sum up, if you want to be more productive and happy – make sure you get enough sleep.
Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments!