Sore throats are very common for every one of us. We all know the very unpleasant feeling of discomfort in the throat, pain when swallowing, itchiness and irritation. This is why it is very important to know what to do in this situation in order to ease the pain and sooth the throat. Follow these 7 simple steps to make yourself feel better fast:
Like Personal Growth on Facebook
Step 1. Stop smoking (and avoid passive smoking) and drinking alcohol as soon as you start feeling the discomfort in your throat. Smoking and alcohol might have been the causes of your sore throat to begin with and they will just continue to irritate it.
Step 2. Take 1000mg of vitamin C. Continue taking it 3 times per day for the first 3-4 days, then reduce the dose but take it regularly. Vitamin C will help boost your immune system and fight off the infection.
Step 3. Get some lozenges, eat them every 3 to 4 hours but no longer than for 5 days.
Step 4. Make a saltwater gargle: Dissolve half a teaspoon of salt in an 8-ounce glass of warm water. Gargle2-4 times a day. Saltwater has anti-inflammatory properties and will help sooth your sore or scratchy throat.
Step 5. Start drinking lots of fluids. As well as water start drinking herbal teas at least 3 times a day. Any of the following will work well when making tea:
- Slippery elm or marshmallow root. They contain a mucus-like substance that coats a sore throat soothing the pain. Just add some of the dried root to a cup of hot water to make tea.
- Sage leaf is also a very effective antiviral.
- Ginger tea can be very soothing too.
- Chamomile, Echinacea, Peppermint will all work very well.
- Honey (not a herb, but works wonders too). You can mix it in tea or take straight up.
Step 6. Avoid food or drink that is too hot as this may cause your throat to become even more sore. If you are drinking tea wait for it too cool down.
Step 7. Take 400-600mg of dried garlic in capsules. Continue taking it 3 times a day for 3-4 days. Garlic is an effective antiseptic.
Once you feel better make sure to follow these 5 Easy Ways To Prevent A Sore Throat In The Future:
- Buy a new toothbrush. Bacteria collects on your toothbrush re-infecting you.
- Wash your hands often with anti-bacterial soap and keep them away from your nose and mouth.
- Add moisture to your room by running a humidifier or a cool-mist vaporiser.
- Eat better and make sure you get enough vitamins.
- Quit smoking for good