Losing weight is an endeavor that many people find challenging, and those who go about the process without guidance or support often find themselves giving up early on. Fortunately, taking the time to understand how weight loss works and why certain techniques are beneficial can make a significant difference in helping you to achieve your goals.
Like Personal Growth on Facebook
Weight loss does not have to be difficult – in a number of cases, making a few minor adjustments to your eating and exercise habits is all you need to shed excess pounds in an efficient manner. Try these 36 tips for easy weight loss, and over time, you can enjoy a brand new, healthy and happy lifestyle.
1. Take a brisk walk for approximately 30 minutes daily.
2. Keep track of the calories that you consume each day, being careful to count every food and drink item. Ensure that your calorie intake is lower than your energy output.
3. Add a variety of berries, including blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries, to your everyday diet. Berries are low in calories, rich in antioxidants and great for satisfying sweet cravings.
4. Don’t eat if you truly aren’t hungry. Pay attention to your snacking habits, and determine whether or not you tend to eat out of boredom rather than needing sustenance.
5. Replace junk food items in your diet with healthier foods. Swap out ice cream for Greek yogurt, sugary candy for fruit smoothies and salty chips for crunchy pickle spears.
6. Take a pause between every bite of food that you eat. This prevents you from eating too fast without paying attention to the portion sizes that you are consuming.
7. Top your salads with vinegar-based dressings, which are lower in calories than cream-based dressings. When preparing a vinaigrette dressing, such as balsamic or raspberry, keep the oil content low.
8. Share a restaurant meal with a companion rather than consuming an entire meal yourself. Restaurant portions are typically quite a bit larger than what your body needs to feel full.
9. Include generous amounts of beans and lentils in your recipes. These foods are protein-rich, high in fiber, very filling and great choices for keeping you energized for hours between meals.
10. Eat an apple before indulging in lunch or dinner. Apples are not only filling, but they also contain pectin, which suppresses the appetite and helps to prevent fat absorption.
11. Engage in calorie-burning activities that you find fun. Losing weight is easier when you enjoy the process, whether through dancing, playing sports, swimming, biking or other entertaining and stimulating hobbies.
12. Eat small portions of high-protein foods and snacks throughout the day. Peanut butter, egg whites, handfuls of nuts, chicken breast and lean meats are all great sources of hunger-satisfying protein.
13. Substitute any saturated fats in your diet with monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats. Fish, avocado, olive oil and other unsaturated fat sources help to prevent abdominal weight gain and improve cholesterol levels.
14. Involve your entire family in practicing good eating habits. Losing weight is a less stressful process when you are not the only person in the household striving for better health.
15. Boost your calcium intake as a way of encouraging weight loss. In addition to taking calcium supplements, try eating some yogurt and greens and drinking fortified orange juice and milk.
16. Drink skim milk as a replacement for full-fat milk. Skim milk is significantly lower in calories, and the deficit adds up even if you only use milk in coffee or tea.
17. Find lower-calorie substitutes for your favorite foods whenever possible. Most fresh, canned, boxed and frozen foods are available in “lean” versions for those who are watching their diets.
18. Drink a full glass of water before each meal.
19. Buy a pedometer, and keep track of the number of steps that you take each day. Aim for 10,000 steps at minimum to easily burn calories and lose weight.
20. Start your day with a few slices of fresh pineapple. A delicious breakfast fruit, pineapple contains the bromelain enzyme, which naturally aids in the body’s ability to digest food efficiently.
21. Don’t eat meals in front of the TV or computer. Eating while you are distracted makes it far too easy to consume more food than you might have otherwise.
22. Get an accountability partner while embarking on your weight loss journey. Many people find it easier to stick with a diet plan when they exchange encouragement and support with friends.
23. Order the smallest portions of food available when going to a restaurant or fast-food establishment. If this is not possible, eat half your meal and take the rest home.
24. Swap nutritionally deficient white bread for breads made with whole grains and unbleached flour. Bread varieties such as 12-grain, pumpernickel, whole wheat and rye are satisfying and good for energy levels.
25. Use small plates when dishing out food for each meal. This helps you to control portions effectively because you are not tempted to cover a larger plate surface with food.
26. If you drink juice, choose varieties that contain a lot of pulp. Not only is pulp a fiber source, but it is also more filling than fully strained juice.
27. Watch yourself in the mirror as you eat. Although unconventional, this tip allows you to see exactly how much food you consume in a sitting and make adjustments if needed.
28. Lose weight creatively by using spices such as cinnamon, chili powder and paprika in your foods. These spices assist in regulating blood sugar and may help in burning stored fat.
29. Increase your calorie expenditure simply by cleaning the house and performing daily chores. Tasks such as vacuuming, washing windows and carrying laundry up and down stairs all burn calories.
30. Try incorporating spinach and other greens into daily protein smoothies, or prepare leafy salads for lunch or dinner. Spinach is great for curbing cravings and is a versatile healthy food.
31. Drink a soothing cup of green tea. In addition to being very low in calories, green tea contains antioxidants known as catechins, which help to increase metabolism and burn fat.
32. Brush your teeth immediately after finishing a meal or snack. The fresh taste of minty toothpaste works well in discouraging many people from eating more food too quickly.
33. Busy yourself with daily activities that are not related to eating in any way. Work with arts and crafts, walk your dog or take a yoga class at the gym.
34. If you can’t kick a soda habit, drink diet soda rather than regular. Diet soda typically has no calories while regular soda can have 150 calories or more per can.
35. Avoid indulging in late-night snacks after eating dinner.
36. Be patient, and keep a positive attitude as you go about losing weight. Retaining a productive frame of mind makes the process easier and less stressful in the long run.